
The Society star Gideon Adlon responds to the persisting fan campaigns trying to bring the Netflix series back from cancellation. A riff on Lord of the Flies, The Society first premiered on the streamer in the spring of 2019. It focused on a group of teenagers who, upon returning home early from a school trip, find their town completely empty and cut off from the rest of the world. Forced to survive on their own, the teens must create their own way of living, which predictably leads to conflict among their ranks.
The Society was greeted with positive reviews and praise from fans. Netflix renewed it for season 2 just a couple of months after it premiered, and creator Christopher Keyser began work on the writing. However, when the coronavirus pandemic settled in last year, The Society was one of the Netflix originals to see its renewal turn into a cancellation. It was said that production delays, difficulties with scheduling the cast, and a budget increase led to The Society's untimely end. Not long after, fans started up a campaign online to save the series, though nothing has so far come of it.
Screen Rant received the chance to speak with Adlon, who played Becca on The Society, ahead of the release of her new movie Witch Hunt. When asked about her thoughts on fans' efforts to revive The Society, Adlon initially admitted she hasn't been following it as much because of her struggles with social media. However, whenever she does see the hashtag, she's very grateful to see how many people were touched by the series. Adlon said:
I don't follow along with it, but, I'm one of those post on Instagram, delete the app people, because Instagram is very toxic for me. It's hard. That app is difficult, but every time I log on, there's more tags and #BringBackTheSociety. And I think it's incredible that so many people loved that show. And I really wish that we could have given them season two, because season two is going to be amazing, but what are you going to do? The world went up in flames and that show fell victim to it. But it's nice to know that we touched people.

Adlon also shared her idea for a continuation of The Society, which she first came up with when it was cancelled. "I was like, 'Well, since you have the second season written, why don't we do a podcast of all the episodes?'" she said. Adlon acknowledged that not much has come of that yet, but that she might mention it to Keyser again because "I would love [it]." She added, "I just want people to know what happens. Maybe we could just put a button on it. I know the things people want to know."
Over the years, Netflix has built up a reputation for saving network shows that were unceremoniously cancelled, with the most recent example being Manifest. While that's a happy conclusion for some shows, the streamer has caught some heat for not doing the same for its own originals. The Society is the perfect example of a show that deserves some kind of continuation, seeing as it left plenty of mysteries behind and was supposed to score another season in the first place. Right now, Netflix seemingly has no plans to revive The Society, but Adlon's podcast idea might have some merit. One thing is certain: This series deserves better closure than it got, and hopefully something will be done to make that happen.
from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/3FMeEnM

0 Comments