Header Ads Widget

Responsive Advertisement

Navot Papushado Interview: Gunpowder Milkshake | Screen Rant

When you think Netflix action thriller, a group of women who go by “Librarians” may not be the first thing that comes to mind. But Gunpowder Milkshake, out on the streaming service July 14, makes the terms seem vicious in the best way. The film follows Karen Gillan’s Sam from her abandonment at an early age to her life as a cold-blooded hitwoman, and then forces her to team up with her assassin mother for her biggest mission yet.

Director and writer Navot Papushado spoke to Screen Rant about his inspiration for the story and the incredible talents of the all-star cast.

The world building you created is amazing, and it seamlessly blends these genres perfectly. But what inspired you to tell this story?

Navot Papushado: Thank you. Sometimes I don't ask myself that question when I write, and then it hits me. It's like, "Okay, there's this idea. This is two different genres meeting. Why? I'll figure the why later. Right now, it's burning; right now, it's a feeling."

And once I had that initial idea that it's a kidnap thriller meets an assassin movie, it became clear that it should be a mother-daughter [relationship]. It should be a very, very feminine movie. And it hits me that this is the story I must tell. And the librarians were brought in, and this just feels right instinctively. This all comes together perfectly. And then you understand this is about three generations of women: past, present, and future. This is about how knowledge is power, and how knowledge is a weapon. And how we start by hiding that power inside books. And by the end of the movie, the books themselves [are power].

All of those things, when you write something, they're there. They're hiding; you just need to carve them in, and then you understand what you wanted to say. It's almost like a psychological session, but you only realize by the end, "Ah, that's what I wanted to say." But if it all works, then it all works.

Karen is brilliant in this film. What did she bring to the role of Sam that wasn't necessarily on the page?

Navot Papushado: Everything. There's something about the page; you read it, you understand it, it works. "Alright, this is a character I understand." But I like to write as a blueprint. I have my wish list, but I never want to presume someone will say yes. So when you write something, you don't go into all the subtleties that later might come in.

And then you have Karen Gillan, and then you have Lena Headey, and then you have Angela Bassett, Michelle Yeoh, Carla Gugino, Paul Giamatti - and all of a sudden, you start a dialogue. They bring more and more of themselves, and I have to admit, I am forever in their debt. Because they helped shape the characters, shape the world, shape the chemistry between them. A lot of the things are little subtleties that you don't even think of until you meet them, are they are so talented and generous. Working with them really made that whole thing what it is now.

You've had a fascination with librarians and the library since you were a kid. Can you talk to me about why the library was the perfect setting and metaphor for this group of assassins that are more family-oriented?

Navot Papushado: Yeah, I spend most of my days at school in the library reading. I'm a huge nerd, and librarians were a big part of my life. I actually became friends with most of them. But they also intrigue me. In a way, they're like sheriffs of that little town; peacekeepers.

And I thought that's actually a great alter ego. That's the Clark Kent to their Superman. Wouldn't that be great if those librarians that, as a kid look so tough to me, were a great and brilliant surface? But then again, you have all the other layers of knowledge, like we discussed - powers and weapons and how you use them. And it just felt right, and just felt super cool to have all these women play that.

Is the firm done with Sam, the Librarians and Emily? Because I need to see another Gunpowder Milkshake movie.

Navot Papushado: I'm hearing that more and more lately, and it's actually so nice to hear. Because when you make a movie, you just hope people would love it and get it. If I have a chance to do it all over again with them, I would take it in a heartbeat. I enjoyed it so much, and they're so talented. If someone tells me tomorrow, "Let's go?" I'm in.

Next: Karen Gillan Interview for Gunpowder Milkshake



from ScreenRant - Feed https://ift.tt/2Uami8q

Post a Comment

0 Comments